Tuesday, January 03, 2006

Sky Blue

Until I visited Alaska I never really understood that a sky can be the "sky blue" in the crayon box. There I was stuck in a place between Fairbanks and Palmer looking at the sky. It was blue, but not regular blue. I lived in Northern Arizona. I know what "blue sky" looks like. But there I was seeing, for the first time, "sky blue". What an amazing color. It is actually exhilarating. Think of a whipped blue as pale as it can get and then suddenly a splash of dark blue thrown in.
It was actually warming a day that was probably about -10.

I thought, after my trips to Alaska ceased, I would never experience that color again. I think it was just so unpolluted there I could see the REAL "sky blue". I was to be surprised.

Yesterday I was out walking on our small farm- and there it was- "sky blue". I have not lived in Kansas this time very long, but I have already come to appreciate the many things that brought us back here after 15 years away. The geese gathering to fly south, the kids bounding up our drive to see if the sledding hill was ready, the sunset out my kitchen window and now "sky blue". Moving back to Kansas was a good move.

1 comment:

desert native said...

Sky blue - a great visual... I suspect that the sky has been that color of blue in many of the places that you have traveled and lived but you were in a different role where your attention was really elsewhere. Kansas and Alaska probably have less polluted air than many of those other places, yet what I know about your life is that both of those places represent a time and place where you are able and have slowed down to see, absorb and cherish nature. Although you always seem to observe nature, you are now at a place where you drink it in since you are taking time for yourself and letting go of the responsibilities that you took on for so long. I delight in your delight.