Sunday, January 20, 2008

Addicted

I am here to admit my addiction to the Aloha State. What is it about that place that constantly calls me there?


I hate the plane ride- 12 grueling hours - connections - sitting. My friend had a man die on her flight there - and they just had to keep going. My plane lost an engine and we turned around.


Still- the air, the warmth, the feeling. I just don't know what it is that calls me.
I know if I were not married to a mountain man and had children who lived on the mainland- I would sell this house in a minute and rent a condo on Oahu for the rest of my life. I could live without a car- renting on the few occasions that I needed to get to the other side of the island.


What is it?
This is a school that I in serviced about five years ago. It was small and just- open. The Catholic School was nestled in the mountains among the trees- run by a couple of retired San Diego teachers who did it as a side income to their retirement money.
When we lived in Hawaii- the kids were treated like dirt. I wasn't treated much better. But there was something about going out and seeing a tropical rain forest canopy a mile from your house that just had me....
So, Scott has declared that he will not return to Hawaii. He would prefer to fish in Texas. I will go- probably for my last time- with my daughter, son in law, grandchild and possibly my Mother this summer. I will have to take lots of pictures- for this is it. My obsession with Hawaii will have to meet some of my other obsessions- in my heart!

3 comments:

cath said...

wonderful story, wonderful pics, sis

i'll go and stay with you for a month at a time when i am well - i love it too... It is a gentle place - culture and environment - most of the time (except the winds and the volcanoes!)

it is so much nicer than the beaching on the west coast for me...

Michelle said...

Janette, my family has wonderful memories of Hawai'i even though we experienced discrimination while living there. We'd love to take Matthew to visit when he's older (he's half Hawaiian).

Teresa said...

I love Maui, and could definetly vacation there time and again. I don't think I could live there full time, I would get Island fever.