Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Can you really live on very little?


For about a year now I have done a great deal to simplify our lives. I have gotten our regular bills down to within just one income. The Mastercard takes the other one every month- but those things can be controlled (just say NO!)

The idea is that I am attempting to see if we both can do something else with our lives. I love to teach-but it takes every ounce of energy to do it...and I am sick of the institutional garbage. I do not know what else I want to do. Dabble would be one thing. I get bored quickly in volunteer positions since those seem to go to the lowest thinking job in a place. But what else?

Scott knows what he wants to do- wood working. He figures he can substitute five or six times a month and keep himself in wood (of course having our own forest is an asset.)

I have been frequenting the frugal blogs and putting in a toe here and there. I just am not sure I can let go of the extra income. For the next few months I will be exploring what it takes to, not only to be frugal, be simplistic. We will not starve- but can we live the simple lifestyle we dreamed about 25 years ago at the beginning of our journey together?

4 comments:

Niki RuralWritings said...

one of my favourite frugal blogs is down--to--earth.blogspot.com
it should be right up your alley :)
blessings
niki

Teresa said...

Good luck Janette!

Patty said...

you can do it, there is more beauty in needing less, living doing the things we love.

Roz said...

We have always lived on one salary and I would be willing to answer questions if you want. I am frugal and so is dh so that is already a plus!
I love not working and being able to do all the other things instead! I think I am more 'fruitful' this way.