Saturday, January 05, 2008

Moving In

I have moved into my new classroom in the new school. Our community has not built a new middle school in about 50 years, so this is a BIG deal. The school is beautiful. Of course it has all of the "not done" things- no internet in the computer classrooms, only 18 chairs and tables in my classroom with 24 students- but it is wonderful none the less. I have never been the first person to take over a room. That, in and of itself, is a major deal for this old teacher.
Now, we have to make AYP. I made some inroads last year on how to improve test scores. This year the challenge is to get this much lower group of students to pass. If most of mine pass, it will bring up the SPED scores enough for the school to pass. If nothing else, I will WILL and PRAY this group to passing:>)
I don't mind the state testing. It actually forces some of the teachers to teach what is actually necessary for a child to function in this society.
I will attempt to remember to get pictures of the new school this week. Really, it is excellent.

No comments: