Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Whew! Time is flying

It is the fourth week of school and I just printed off grades. My homeroom students are all over the board- from flying through to failing. My own classes are all doing fine. To be honest, I am an easy grader. Long ago I discovered that if your class is interesting you can demand a great deal of thinking with very little paper.
Today we had a political discussion. My objective was to watch eyes. If they disengaged- I stopped. That only happened in one class and then we moved on to something more in their scope. It was an interesting experiment.
Next Monday I will introduce Fact check that my sister gave me. (Mondays are election summary days). I am wondering how much of this gets home.....
My favorite question is always," Who are you voting for?" My answer is the same, "If you do not know, then I am doing my job correctly." My job is not to tell kids who I am- but to help them develop who they are......

2 comments:

Margo said...

Good Morning you stopped by my blog and said you were going to visit Maine...where to start...of course, I love the coast...Boothbay Harbor, Bar Harbor are two of my favorites..unique in their own right....also my son is a 5th grade teacher in Tn. He decided to go back to college at 45 get a degree and do the thing he loved. love your flowers at the header of your blog...

gashling said...

You and Dad never told us who you were voting for growing up either. You did a good job making us independant thinkers :)