Friday, November 21, 2008

Amazing discussion

Today we began by looking at the caste system of ancient India. We ended by talking about green cards and who is "more American". What does an American look like? How long is long enough to be a citizen? Is a child of American parents actually "more American" than President Elect Obama - the child of citizens of the US and Kenya? How about the child of a soldier with a parent of another country caring for her while dad is in Iraq? Is she "American"? The discussion was good. There was a bit of twitching, but we did well to maneuver between questions and criticism.
Have I told you lately that I love to teach? Still, I do not think I will do it for much longer. My energy level is not the same as it was years ago and children take so much. Of course, I am honored to be renewed by their energy and questions.

Who is this generation? I am finding fewer children know the Bible- or any religion. Fewer have connection to Scouts or charities. More are involved with the "me" of club sports and fewer the "we" of school sports. What will be their drive? What will be the will to serve humanity? The need to find what is good for all born and unborn? It should be the job of parent. Some parents take that and move forward, but I see less and less of that. I guess the job has become that for a teacher. Scary that a profession that is usually looked down upon in society is really the driving force for the future.
I am thinking more and more about my grandson's world. What will his education bring to him? What will he bring to the world. Will his teacher be caring and help him form into the caring citizen that he has the ability to be? I guess I need to begin those teacher prayers sooner than later.

4 comments:

Debbie in CA : ) said...

Oh yes, you surely must begin those prayers RIGHT NOW! So important to surround our children with the best examples. I like hearing about your discussions in class. Fruitful, for sure.

I love the new picture of you as "Miss Hospitality" -- darling! : D

cath said...

"Scary that a profession that is usually looked down upon in society"...

Oh, my gosh - do you really believe this? I find it hard to believe that society looks down on teachers. How very sad, if it is true.

I agree with Debbie. You have found your voice when you write about your work with these children.

Maybe it will be too much to do a full day of teaching - but isn't there a way to do half a day? or less? ...maybe just after school time, in the barn? ... or summer classes?

Time to start looking for grants to support that?

I am wondering if Mrs. Long might be able to give you some hints as to how to pace yourself...

Love you,
Cath

Plumbob said...

I relate to your generation probing. I am Gen Y and I haven't even worked out my own generation, nevermind the next (which is what- Gen Z? Millenials?)

I worry for the future in the ways that most people worry for the future- energy crisis, financial crisis, global warming, overpopulation, etc. But I also worry about what damage is being done in the way children are being raised. I was the second child of two working parents. When I was young it was not at all uncommon for women to have careers, but my mother's workaholism was unusual then. My parents left for work before I woke up (no nanny- I got myself ready for school and out the door). My parents came home in the early evening after I had let myself in, done my homework and made myself dinner. I ate alone, my parents ate when they came home. The evening was spent in individual pursuits- I had my own TV, and later my own computer with internet access. On weekends my parents had their own activities- golf, choir, gym. On school holidays I was minded by the mothers of other children.

I was unusual. Most of my friends had mothers that worked only during school hours, and some had stay at home mothers. Now I see kids arrive at 6 for before-school care, spend the whole day at school, then go to after-school care until 7. It's no longer unusual. While my mother paid a neighbour $50 a week to watch me, families now pay $50 a day to daycare. Here in Australia the government subsidises the childcare industry.

Kids are growing up selfish, but can you blame them? They are not members of communities, they are barely members of families. You learn at a young age that you are on your own, that the only hero and the only source of comfort in your own life is yourself. Why give a crap about anyone else?

Anonymous said...

I found this site using [url=http://google.com]google.com[/url] And i want to thank you for your work. You have done really very good site. Great work, great site! Thank you!

Sorry for offtopic