Saturday, November 29, 2008

One day


When I graduated from college a great friend wrote my philosophy of education for my interview packet in calligraphy. I pull it out every so often to see if it has changed. Not yet.
"Changing the world one child at a time."
Sometimes that child was my own. At times I was not good at it. Other times it flowed because I love them.
Changing one child right now means working with one family. This year that has been a painful pursuit since the family really needs professional help and I had to be the one to call that help in. The season of giving is here. My Friday shopping is done and this family will be fine for the tree...but how to really help change that lifestyle so the one child at a time can benefit? That is the difficult question for me in the next few weeks.

1 comment:

Debbie in CA : ) said...

I have always shared your sentiment -- change will come through my investment in a child. I have had 5 to invest in daily, but oh so many more have come for a moment or more. Sometimes a smile in a grocery store is all I can offer, but I do it with joy. I will pray for you as you journey with a new child and family.