Friday, May 22, 2009

Why teach?

Some of you know that I have been struggling about teaching. Am I out of step with the world of the classroom? Should I make way for someone far younger, with much more endurance? Am I too sarcastic and do not use proximity enough? Are the politics of school overtaking my desire to serve our students?
Then, today, a shy student, who struggled this year, walked into my desk bubble. She whispered in my ear, "thank you for being my teacher". That says it all. I have to get past the bitterness and move into what I really teach for...helping the next generation be whatever they desire to be.
That is why I teach.

1 comment:

Laura said...

Yup.
I cannot tell you how many times I have thought about moving on to something else and then I get a sign like that.
No.
I am right where I am supposed to be.
And so are you.