Wednesday, October 27, 2010

I'm running away!




"My bags are packed
I'm ready to go
I'm staying here
just outside your door
I hate to wake you up
to say good bye.
But the dawn is breaking
Its early morn
the taxi's waiting
he's blowing his horn
Already I'm so lonesome I could cry."
I love this song.
Not really lonesome.
Excited to see my grandchild and his family.


I'd thought I'd leave you
with a headline today.
My county decided that
they could not raise the
taxes.
So, instead,
they have raised our property values!
Yes, we are the only place in the nation
whose house not only never lost value-
but have increased in value.
None of the houses of any
price have sold in my neighborhood.
Owners have dropped the prices almost
$50,000. and still no takers.
County says,
"Well, at least your taxes did not rise!"
I will pay several hundred more
in property taxes this year than last.
Our sales tax is now 10%.
Let's put it in perspective.
A family member in Phoenix pays the same
property taxes that I do.
Her house is worth double.
She also has access to libraries and
good streets.
I love Kansas. I love Kansas. It is worth it?
AGGGGG!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

maybe more involvement in local politics, one way or another, is also a part of your retirement ;)

have a safe trip and have fun!!!!

ancient one said...

You can not win with the taxes... I