Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Just visiting

The difference between visiting my daughter and my son is intensity:>)

Our daughter is at home with our grandson full time. I admire their family determination to provide the best care for their child. Any other decision would put a different type of pressure on their young family that would not be easy to handle. The experience of working in the area might be better for her career- but not for their lives.
When visiting her household, there is rarely a minute to spare. There are places to go and things to do. Scheduling works around a toddler schedule- consistent in food, fun and sleep. As I say, no house is large enough for four big personalities for too long;>)

Our son works- often 14 hour days. When he gets home he is zapped. At least an hour of random computer time before the wind down begins. The weekends are non stop- but they are only two days long.
We have lots of down time here. We take over his media and lounge on the couch- lol. We might go and see the sight- but then there is traffic out there and neither of us know how to get there or home. Too much effort. We begin to think of all of the things at "home" we should be doing.

We love to visit both homes. We know our children love us. BUT

Guests, like fish, stink after five days. Both households were visited for seven days this fall. We forgot the rule. Hopefully, they will want us back. Five days next time:>)

8 comments:

cgsch said...

I've likely told you the quote from an elderly woman at my church, "Guests bless us twice, once when they arrive and once when they leave!" I'm so glad you've gotten the opportunity to have the visits!!

(Oh, & I've always heard its only three days before the stink....LOL!!!!) ;>)

cgsch said...

I've likely told you the quote from an elderly woman at my church, "Guests bless us twice, once when they arrive and once when they leave!" I'm so glad you've gotten the opportunity to have the visits!!

(Oh, & I've always heard its only three days before the stink....LOL!!!!) ;>)

Bob said...

We solved the visiting problem: both daughters and associated families moved back to Phoenix. Now, They are only 30 minutes away. Visits are only a couple of hours and are just the right length!

Renee said...

and here I thought the saying was 3 days :)

Ralph said...

Suggestion for the son visits. Act like tourists during the working hours. Check out the bus schedules and ride around- if you must think about renting a car for a day or drive your son to work and pick him up so you can get out to get somewhere. Or get his to to list and run errands so he doesn't have to. These may not be good ideas for you and your family but think out of the box instead of being couch potatoes

Janette said...

Great ideas Ralph.
Don't rub it in Bob;>) Our two will not be settled for a while. The military dictates their lives right now. I hope to end up by at least one of them in the next ten years.

OK Christina and Renee- it IS three days---but with travel time I stretch it-lol. No,really, I just forgot! Three days is about the right amount of time. I wonder what my mom will think of the five at the end of the month. SMELLY!

Galen Pearl said...

Janette, Thank you for your comment on my blog! Always happy to meet a lurker! Like your "50 and ready to move to a new stage." I am 58 and transitioning to retirement this year. Big change! I like your blog and am joining as a follower. Keep in touch! Galen

Ralph said...

This is what you get for encouraging me. Idea for your daughter. Give her a spa visit (day spa) and cover her family obligations. You won't be spending time with her but I'll be she will enjoy having you there.