Monday, November 22, 2010

Last day

I met a little guy two months ago.
After I substituted in his classroom twice he said,,
"Hey, I think that if you worked with me I could learn how to read."
Amazing.
After 25 years I have never had a child approach me for a specific need like learning to read.
Maybe it was just assumed that I would do it.
Our journey began.
Cleared calendar for two months- an hour every day.
Last week he read his first book. WhhhhOOOO!
Today he both recognized and recorded all of the sounds of the alphabet. He finished by reading his sixth book (and stacking a group of books that were next.)
Tomorrow is a meeting about him. He had a introductory plan with preliminary Special Education intervention.
What he got was a double dose of Phonics
He reads.
No SPED for this young man. He knew what he needed. He asked. He got it.
Now it is time for him to practice and me to move on.
He was right.
I needed to slow down and help.
He needed to read.
Amazing that he picked me to work with.
Smart kid!

Have I told you lately how much I love my life?

4 comments:

Bob said...

I've added your blog to my blogroll, Janette. I enjoy your style!

My Mom was a teacher for almost 45 years, the last 10 as a volunteer. She used to share with me the type of experience you had with the young man and his desire to read.

Being able to teach or mentor someone who wants the help is a special thrill and a God-given gift.

Janette said...

I'm delighted to have you add me.
I journey to your blog daily for inspiration.

Kimberly said...

Amazing!

How old was this little boy? He seems awfully wise - to first have recognized his weakness, then to ask for help, and finally to recognize it was YOU who really could help him. Well done, all around!

Renee said...

that's the kind of moment that makes teaching so rewarding. I am hoping that when my kids are all graduated, I can go volunteer in a school