Tuesday, February 01, 2011

Preparation for a blizzard

For my west coast viewers
blizzards are very different than snow storms
Right now it is 8 with a wind chill of -10
Eight is cold enough to instantly
freeze your bugers in you nose :>)
-Ten is cold enough to give your ears frost bite
when going out with the doggy for potty time.

We are a minimal curtain household.
We do not have neighbors.
Most of the year all of the windows
go uncovered so we can
view the trees
These are the trees out our bedroom window

When a blizzard is arriving
our mode of survival
changes
After a "normal
Arizona July"
electric bill of
$400 arrived yesterday
our mode went into high gear.

We have several techniques.
The sunlight
basement windows get a layer of thermo insulation. The dining room has a quilt pinned to it. The spare bedroom/ office/ sewing room receives a layer of heavy
cloth clipped to the rod (there is a rod in there- but nothing is on it normally).
Our bedroom and living room stay the same. I need sunlight (which is why moving to Seattle is so unappealing to me).

The rest of the preparations should be normal
but they are often forgotten until a blizzard warning.
Blizzard means you don't want to go out for ANYTHING.
Batteries for the radio and flashlights- check
Greenhouse is anchored- check
Corn out for turkeys- check
Crock pot of Chili cooked- check
P/B/H and bread for sandwiches- check
10 gallons of water in bottles- check
Cars full of gas- check
Cash- check
Clean clothes- check
Blankets out and aired- check
Wood inside by the fireplace- check
Place scooped out by the door
for doggies to go potty- check
Several good books- double check!

Bring it on! Blizzard away!

8 comments:

b said...

I saw your comment on my blog today...isn't it funny that my friends are experiencing exactly the same things as they go through the transition for retirement? I loved your words " We have agreed that the dishes do not have to be put in the dishwasher a certain way or the whites have to be washed separately (since there are no real whites in our house left)." That resonated with me!

I am so sorry for your awful weather. We will try to send a warm wave your way soon.

b

Anonymous said...

be safe - stay warm... blizzard - WOW c

Bob Lowry said...

I grew up in blizzard country. It can be deadly. A survival kit in the car was standard operating behavior from November until March.

Just so you know, we will be having lows in the mid 20's in Phoenix the next few nights. Not in your league, but unusual and tough for many of our citizens.

I should talk to you sometime about that $400 electric bill for July. Our July bill in Phoenix was about $250. A bill of $400 would give me a stroke!

Janette said...

From what I understand it is a pretty common number for most of my family in Phoenix metro. But they are all in "family sized" ranch style houses.

Anonymous said...

I would say that $400 for most of us for several months is a common electrical bill for summer in Phoenix. 3000 sq feet home ranges from high $200s to $500 - I keep my home at 81 or 82 degrees too. c

Bob Lowry said...

Of course the flip side of high summer time electric bills are very low bills for 3-4 months a year when no heat or cooling is needed.

Yes, a 3,000 sq. foot home can have a $400 bill. Throw in a pool pump and $500 is quite doable.

Our home is under 2,000 sq feet and we keep the temp at 80 in the summer. hence the much lower total.

Great pictures, by the way, Janette

Janette said...

Thanks Bob.
Yes, electric bills are totally dependent on size of house:>) (and the pool). I am not used to anything over $250 here.
In Flagstaff we often had bills in the $300 's in the winter and $40 in the summer. Bliss!

Hansi said...

Solar panels! If your state has subsidies for Solar go for it. You can then also get a 30% federal tax credit to help defray the costs. In Southern California, I literally watch my meter run backwards on sunny days. Monthly bill: $1.98 for admin fees :)