Sunday, April 22, 2012

Budgets and all things dull

Second year

A favorite picture of the Nomadic Navajo Nation.
I continue to be nomadic- even in retirement.
Our largest expenditure was travel---SURPRISE!
With our son getting married and now living in Washington State,
and our daughter's family in Maryland,
and my mother and nephew being ill in Phoenix,
and our 30th anniversary trip
while we live in Kansas,
travel came out to 22% of our budget last year!
We saved specifically for travel long before we retired- so we don't see that as "nest egg" money.

Next, in almost equal proportions were expenditures for taxes, woodcrafts, gas, food and gifts.

Pets came in a quick seventh in the expenditures.

Income dribbled in. Pension, substituting, a gift from my mother and some investments all were in line to help keep our fingers out of the long term money.

Third year begins in two weeks.

I plan for more time in Maryland. Subletting is my choice of staying.
 My husband continues to woodwork.
Our son's family moves to Alabama. A trip there will happen in the winter.
Our daughter's family contemplates a trip to Italy.
If I want to go I had better put in many more hours with the school district!

We know we will live by the water within five years. Will it be the Pacific Northwest or MidAtlantic states. Time will tell. We are looking at both places.

We have to clean out the barn!

I have miles to go before I sleep.











5 comments:

Renee said...

Where in Alabama???? Maybe we'll get to meet???

Janette said...

Flight school- Enterprise. Maybe we can meet this time:)

Renee said...

that would be great

Barbara Torris said...

Robert Frost would approve...“The woods are lovely, dark and deep. But I have promises to keep, and miles to go before I sleep.”

I love the idea that the water is calling you but your family is never far from your thoughts. I am voting for the northwest...but then that is just me. Have you been to the Oregon coast yet. You will be gob smacked.

Thank you for your visits to my blog. I always love your comments.

b

Janette said...

Lincoln City Oregon..one of God's spots!
I really enjoy your blog Barbara. Well worth the read!