Wednesday, July 11, 2012

How to do summer inexpensively

Summer- especially mid summer- is the "skinny" time of year for me.
During the school year, substitute teaching provides a few hundred extra dollars a month. Those are my "play" dollars. I learned two years ago to put some effort into subbing in May so I have enough to carry me through the summer. Here it is mid July and I am back to "skinny" money.

Fortunately, the plane ticket to see the grandchild was purchased right after my last paycheck.I leave for the land of free play in two weeks. Until then, the hunt for free things is here.


  • Library has summer reading clubs. I can get a free ice cream for reading so many books (which I do anyway).
  • The fourth of July presented many outdoor concerts that I could enjoy.
  • Local historical society will be showing some movies in their place downtown.
  • I could actually sew a few things from all of the fabric I have collected.
  • The screens all need to be cleaned in the house.
  • Walking by the lake provides many views of animals.
  • My dogs always like to just hang out with me outside.
  • If it gets hot- there is always Netflix.
In Grandchildville

  • Train into DC is not that expensive and the activities there are endless.  We plan on enjoying the transportation section of the American History Museum. He also knows that every trip to DC includes a visit to a different section of the National Art Gallery.
  • We get ice cream in the Air and Space Museum.
  • This time I plan on a trip to Lincoln and Jefferson Memorials...if it isn't tooo hot.
  • We may take a trip on the canal boats in Georgetown.
  • The parks are amazing there.
  • We are setting up the inflatable pool. My feet and his body will be fully submerged!
  • His library also has a summer reading program.
  • No plans for internet or Netflix this time...I am looking forward to a media break!
What do you do when funds are "skinny"?

1 comment:

Linda Myers said...

Library books! Picking fruits and vegetables from my garden!