Sunday, July 28, 2013

I tend to tilt at windmills


My life is pretty darn great.
Having a family that loves and cares for each other is top priority.

But

I tend to tilt at windmills.
My favorite windmill is universal health care.
Where is the justice in seeing one person suffer 
with the same problem that would be easily solved
because they make too much or too little money?

My next windmill
is the terrible education system that is currently allowed in some places in the country.
How come it is impossible for a child to be rewarded to read a book
an actual piece of literature
but be rewarded for keeping their head down and mouth closed?
Why is it that only people who watch out for their children
because they have time or money,
and know what they are looking for,
get to have a good education presented for their children?
Why is it that the public system spends
far less on the child who could become 
a surgeon, then the one who tries to injure a classmate?

Third windmill
Why is it that every time I agree with a political side 
I am automatically placed on that side and then called names?
or shut out because my opinion is no longer valid?

Guess what?
There are many sides to all of the issues.
Just because I am nervous about the debt and our interaction with China
Does not make me a right winged loonie.
Heck, listening to "the plan" while in Hong Kong 25 years ago
made me take notice
when the plan comes together.....

Just because I feel that medical care is a basic human right 
&
All children, no matter what their parents do, should be fed. 
Period.
I am not a communist marcher.

That I clamp for each person who takes on the vocation of Presidency
Does not give me a political party.
It gives me the word that someone, 
who puts on their pants the same way that I do, 
should be respected.
Does that mean I do not write letters
heck no!
this is a Republic!

One thing that has absorbed 
my time since my youth
was study.
Study people & situations. 
My background is debate.  No one knows how to do that anymore!!!!

Guess what else.
I do not worship a Pope. 
 I am smart enough to listen to someone who has walked in shoes I will never know.
Sometimes 2000 years of experience will give an institution some vision.
Sometimes that vision is off kilter---but one would have to be blind to not see that.

My last windmill 
My basic belief that most every person is good until they prove otherwise.
I have met good and evil people in all walks of life.
Listening to them and being able to decipher what they are trying to sell
is key to a good exisitance.
Are they there for themselves only?
Do they want to change things the only way they know how?
Or are they manipulative and only want their own needs/wants fulfilled?

My husband often chuckles at me.
He cannot understand why it is important to me.
He grew up poor and is living his version of the American Dream.
I grew up in what others thought was 
 the American Dream 
and wondering why it is such a mess.
And so
I tilt at windmills.

1 comment:

Toby said...

Gorgeous!