Monday, October 06, 2014

House hunting 101 B

I'd like to tell you that we had certain ideas of what we desired in a house

I'd like to tell you that we had a tight range of price in mind

I'd like to tell you that we knew which part of Delaware we wanted to live in

I can tell you all of those things
But it would be a lie
and I am really working on being truthful

What really happened was that my husband and I really talked about the future.

A sense of reality hit me about three months ago
We have much less time in front of us then we do behind us

My goal was to get us truly settled and enjoying life
before we got any older.

The newest real estate agent was a champ.
Marianne drove us everywhere.
She told us stories about the people, the areas, the life
and just living in Delaware.
The amusing thing was that she had just returned from Florida
to look for a house to retire in.
One of the things she said to us made us chuckle
" I'm not so sold on Florida. We DO have it all in Delaware"
and we agreed.

Nine houses, she was confused on what we were looking for
"Big or small, 1/2 to 5 acres, neighborhood or country,
no one close enough to look in your windows, lots of sun (lots of windows).

We explained we were simply looking for a home
not a house. That did not help much.

We settled on a house that was two doors down from an Amish school house.
I could never work there- but we would enjoy the kids
and the buggies.

I asked if there was anything else she could think of.

She thought a moment and said there was just one
She drove us to a "for sale by owner"
It was a house that I had asked each of the previous real estate agents
to show to me.

It is now pending.
We begin moving our things in December
Yup, she found us our home!


3 comments:

Cindi said...

It's always the LAST house is the one we finally buy. Why is that? I'll never know. But congratulations!

Renee said...

Looking forward to seeing pics of your new home

Tom Sightings said...

Sometimes it takes a while, but eventually you find "The One." So congrats on your new home! (We've looked at Delaware as well, and southeastern PA., but haven't made any decisions.)