Thursday, January 01, 2015

Each piece

Putting together a new house
Is an adventure.
In the past I have simply put "things" in a "place".

This time it is different.
As I unpack boxes I have time
To look at each piece.
Do we need it?
What memories does the piece bring to the house?


 This is the man I married.
I met him after he had earned a bronze star in Vietnam.
He had returned home to people who threw things at him
As he got off the plane.
I was in seventh grade.

The next seven years he spent hiding out.
He grew his hair long- really long.
He took as many hours as possible in college
Since he loves to learn and
If I might say
Is a brilliant man.
He spent summers in Alaska
Surveying the wilderness.

He finally finished college,
The second time
The same year I did.
He returned to the Army.
He took up running, again.

I met him the day before he was in this picture.
I have the medal to prove it.
He had won the 10,000 meter
For the division in Germany.

So, for the first time in many years.
These two pictures will hang on the wall.
They make me smile.

1 comment:

Kimberly said...

Beautiful!