Sunday, November 08, 2015

Who/What shaped you?

As an educator
my feeling is that people are formed
both by nature and nurture.

Our nature is looking far more complicated then we previously felt.
If our mothers carry the cells of her mother
and all of our older sibs
besides hers and our father's when we are conceived,
then our nurture could go back many generations.
Although we are mostly "named" by the father's family,
We truly are more a part of our mother's.

Another part of nurture is the engagement of the brain in learning.
We are learning that our brain turns off main control
in certain areas
 around the age of seven and
moves learning to another center.
That "transfer" seems to be when a child learns to read.

Biblically, we find the passage PS 22:6
"Train them up the way they should go
and they will not depart from it."
We know that people depart all the time,
but do they?
Self esteem seems to be rather set by the age of seven.
Seven is considered the age of reason.
Maybe those early influences set us on "our path"?
Does it change when there are outside unexpected influences?

A new study has been researching children who had
traumatic things happen to them before the age of seven.
They concluded that those happenings can result in a lifelong
depressive state.
Could it be that the center that learning occurs in early on
holds our newly formed emotions?
One could conclude it would be very difficult to
change those feelings since that part of the brain
is no longer used for new learning.

There is another study that states that if a child
in the primary grades
has two bad years in a row
that child will always struggle with school.
Could one then conclude
that two bad years can take down self esteem
and depression can be set in?

I do know that many "good" friends are made in very certain times in our lives.
Primary grades- when learning is new.
Around thirteen, when learning moves to a different level
and then transition periods (marriage, children, deaths of loved ones, new job/business).
It doesn't seem the brain is studied much at this point.
Maybe there is learning in a new section since all the learning before,
has little to do with that moment?
There are not many times as adults these periods come
and the friends we make at these times are important in influence.

I know I am rambling
but suddenly the stages of shaping seem so important to me.

What do you think?
Too heady for this time of the year?


Maybe I just need more time at the shore?




2 comments:

Bonnie said...

"Although we are mostly "named" by the father's family,
We truly are more a part of our mother's.

I love that statement. I've gotten deep into Genealogy and DNA in my first weeks of retirement and have to agree.

Practical Parsimony said...

If everything that happened to me before the age of seven determined whether I would be depressed, my life would be hopeless! My mother is the person who shaped me most. My father was abusive in many ways to all of us. I, alone, seemed to have escaped his bad influences of the five children. He never sexually abused us, but violence ruled our lives, mostly toward my mother.

I try to tell a certain person that socialization occurs all our lives, beginning to end. His statement--I have been doing that since I was ten. His mother abandoned the family when he was ten and never contacted them again. The single doting aunts who fed and helped him while his father worked obviously never told him not to burp so loud or to say excuse me and other things that most mothers teach children.