Sunday, July 10, 2016

Like 1968?

My nephew linked this article on Facebook.
"...Why 1968 was so much worse then 2016."

1968. Dad was a news junkie
even way back then.
Being his sidekick
my evenings were spent watching
the war,
riots,
and assassinations.
Funerals of friend's brothers.
Being eleven,
it was burned into my brain.
And the music
lots of "ungodly: music
which we listened to
on the radio
on the way to school.

The young man who wrote the article
is correct
this does not even begin to compare to what it was then.

He is a bit far fetched when comparing "the Donald"
to George Wallace.
The man who stood on the steps and did not permit a child to enter school,
is way different then political roderick.
The hate in his eyes
The dogs he had released.
Obviously, he did not live that era.

Now if he had compared Nixon to a different liar,
maybe,
but this really isn't about that.

The nation has it pretty darn good.
People have gained rights
We are pulsing forward.
One step forward, two back?
I think the opposite is true.

Not even close to 1968.

3 comments:

Practical Parsimony said...

1968 was the most terrifying year of my life. I had my first baby in April and thought the world had gone mad.

Barbara said...

I was a senior in high school and besides thinking the world revolved around what I wanted to do, and watching Viet Nam on TV at night, I thought the countries of the world would blow each other up and adulthood would therefore not be a problem.

Barbara Torris said...

Thank you for this wonderful post. I love to hear words that are not encouraging people to wallow in a be puddle of self pity because things are "so bad".

b+