Saturday, October 08, 2016

The fall is here.














Continuing my canning marathon in September included: grape jam, tomato sauce, and my favorite- applesauce.
Here is my apple sauce recipe.
    Half and core apples,
    lay them in a dutch over
    put about 1/2 t of Maple syrup where the cores used to be
    bake for 30 minutes at 400degrees
    cool and use a food mill to get rid of the skins and mush the apples
    Put them jar and then in a water bath for 15 minutes.
  I am close to having enough applesauce for the entire baking season. (I don't use oil.)

Bean and Bacon soup was also on the menu


Oranges and lemons are very expensive here. 
When I see them for less, 
I dry them (after soaking in run) for tea in the winter.
Canning and drying are a great way to keep food from being boring in the winter.
Have you ever noticed how tasteless things seem when they have been shipped across the world to your supermarket?
This year, when the farmer markets close, I will not be in mourning.

The end of the month was my birthday.
This year the treat was Disneyland with my oldest grand
and my son's family.

This month is all about field trips before the weather gets cold.
But I still have a few more things to can....

1 comment:

Tom Sightings said...

Field trips before the weather gets cold ... that's what we're doing right now.