Sunday, November 06, 2016

First day of fall back-Political

We were up at 4:30 am with the dogs
Their usual 5:30 wake up
was just as dark.
A warm breeze,
Hooting owl
and clear sky
met us at the door.

I am not getting much sleep these days
anyway
Cannot say I am worried
just sad.
Politics has always been amazing to me
How our country runs,
who runs it
and why.

In the past,
I felt that politics was mostly about an ideal
Who feels they could possibly
do the best for us
in their way.

I had that same ideal about large companies
health care systems
and even banks.

I knew banks were in trouble when my small country bank
sold off our loan to a broker.

I knew health care was in trouble when
my daughter got a bill
for an operation
when the hospital did not know she had coverage.
She was never admitted to the floor
had her appendix removed
in the ER
and she was discharged a few hours later.
$17,000

My suspect of large companies
came when we lived in China and met
the people making Barbies
and polluting the rivers with plastics
and air with chemicals.
Something was wrong, very wrong.
We love those plastics and we will do anything
not to have them produced here.

And now I feel we have no champion.

How strange it feels
to have the same people
who complained about a millionaire businessman running for President
four years ago
championing a woman who has become almost a billionaire
by speaking and selling favors.
The same group who defies logic
of saying a man who says mean things
is worse then a man who lost his law license
for abuse of women.

Then there is the other side
a man who cannot keep his mouth shut
who is barbaric in his manners
even if he is wealthier then the greatest of anyone I know.
I think he joined the race on a lark
maybe even a bet
but here he is
bumbling through.

Will either protect us
I mean the "real" us?
I am taking my chances- and voting for the one who I do not know
over the one I know all too well.

The sadness comes
I see no protection for the ground swell.
Will either do anything for the poor?
or the wicked?
or the religious?
or the overly violent?
or the overly sexed?
or the oppressed?
Probably not

We will simply muddle through another four years
and drool over TV shows that show exactly what we cry against.

After Tuesday,
Just going to fall back
and see what happens
Disturbing, really, disturbing.
I think I will binge watch
Crown
Better to watch a country
who accepts that they are under the rule of the elite
then to live in one that pretends
we are not.

1 comment:

Kimberly said...

Oh Janette, I so feel this pain. I still have no idea if I will even vote for a president tomorrow when I am there.

Sadly, one of them will win and you are right - we will all muddle through. I keep trying to remember that regardless of the outcome, God is in control.