Monday, January 02, 2017

Moving forward- again

End of the year review of finances
The first year after a move
always seems to be so expensive.
Glad that part is finally done and the house is in shape.

We started a savings category for re roofing the house,
making the master bath handicapped accessible,
and replacing the refrigerator
in the next few years.
We have tried to save for that type of expense in small accounts:
Car account (was emptied in June and is beginning to refill),
Large house repairs,
Filling the propane,
Dogs.
Yes, we have an emergency fund
but none of these are emergencies and we like to pay cash.
Plan ahead.

Our allowance system seems to be working well.
Our groceries are a bit out of control,
but now that we are settled
and I have figured out a food bank/household budget,
it will come into control.

I will be doing my trips to see mom four times a year
starting next month.
That usually wipes out the travel account.
Phoenix is not a cheap place.
Thinking about using air bnb to establish a relationship
with someone who wants to share their house
four times a year for a week.
I hate to give the hotels that kind of money for a place to just sleep in.
Maybe I can help someone make their mortgage!

On another note

There was lots of time of emoting these last few months
Many posts were written and not published
We lost a very good friend over the election
I can only be called a hateful, bigoted, deplorable so many times.
There are many reasons to vote for or against people.
Tolerance is simply not in some people's vocabulary
at least tolerance for ALL people- not just the causes they champion.
I have never felt incapable of putting out my POV until now.
Sad really. Sad.

And so, we move forward.
The homeless still need to be fed.
The grands still need to be held.
The kids still need to be moved across country
Friends still need comfort when their children are in a mess.
I have miles to walk before I sleep.

2 comments:

Barbara - said...

I am also investigating air bnb for the first time, as well as house sitting. Hotels always seem to be the most expensive part of travel for me.

Janette said...

I have heard good things about air bnb. My first trip is February. I'll let you know how it works out in Phoenix!
PS.- I took a picture of the "youth"hostel in Sanfrancisco for you awhile back. It was in a great section of town and very comfortable looking. If you want more info, let me know. I would have sent you the picture---but my phone/camera got wiped out :(