Saturday, May 27, 2017

The journey begins--Moving

Military families always seem to be on a journey.
My daughter was military and married military, but decided two moves were too much for her. They got out and plan on never moving again.
My son moves next week.

My family did ten moves in sixteen years.
Wuerzburg, Germany/ Alexandria, VA/ Indianapolis, IN/ Manhattan, KS/ Fort Riley, KS/Monterey, CA/ PokFuLum, Hong Kong/Honolulu, HI/ Riyadh,KSA/ Flagstaff, AZ.

My son's family is on track to be close to our record. They are currently starting their fifth move with about half of our sixteen years done.

What I have learned about moving?

ALWAYS have a safe room. That is where you put the stuff that you cannot live without (like your passports when going overseas).

Don't let them pack the trash in the trash can.

Let it go.  Once those boxes are packed, there is nothing you need from them. Ever. You may even learn that you can do without everything in those boxes. We had one move that our crates went all over the US while we lived in an empty house with blow up mattresses and borrowed pots for six months.

If it is larger then a bread box, expect that it will get dinged.

If you are expecting the move to go without some screaming fits or some wild antics, you are crazy. We spent one move trying to convince our seven year old that her undies were NOT different and she could wear them. Children need outlets and comfort zones. Dogs are almost as bad.

Drive for 100 miles, get out, go to the bathroom and begin again. This will be important this time as my husband and son will drive two cars from CA to NY. My husband says they will be in NY in seven days. My son is less optimistic.

When you get to the new place, set up a children's room and do not mess with it. Same thing if you have a family member that hates to move. Set that room up first. My husband does well if the kitchen is ready to roll.

The journey begins this week. I feel for my daughter in law. I am planning on meeting her on the NY end of a six hour plane ride (with two under 4) with a large cup of coffee and a cruise up the turnpike to her new home.





1 comment:

Kimberly said...

The sacrifices of our military families come in many different forms, many of which are invisible to those who don't understand what goes on 'behind the scenes'.