Saturday, June 03, 2017

Ancestry finds

Downtown Abby. I blame that show for my renewed interest in my extended family. What were my ancestors doing at the turn of the 1900's? How did they do during WWI? Spanish Flu?

My great grandparents had three boys in the service during WWI. Grandmother Carrie was a founder of, what is now called, Blue Star Mothers of Baltimore.

My grandmother was the life of the party. Lots of photos of her dressed from full length, serious, with gloves to this one in 1917 near her DC front porch. She worked until she married at 30.












My grandfather was one of her beaus. He joined the war effort and served in France. He kept the letters of introduction his uncles had written if he had been captured or killed.

 My mother's father's parents were in Tennessee, editors of a small, new newspaper.  They succumbed to the flu, leaving my grandfather an orphan. He ended up on a train west--at six.

My son in law's family were homesteaders and physicians in the Oklahoma territory. They worked on the reservations. 
My husband's grandmother was a widow very young, remarried a man with 12 children and lived a tough life in a railway station. This is a more recent photo- but she was born into a "push cart" LDS family and was part of the beginning of Utah.
Last, but not least, is my husband's grandmother. I hope to find her name at Ellis Island. She was 14 when she got on a ship, alone, amazing!

No comments: